BREDA SAYS FIND YOUR CONFIDENCE ASAP: CELEBRATING BEAUTY, MAKEUP AND SELF-WORTH

02:51 JAFE MALIBENEKE 0 Comments

Brenda  Kabatange grew up in a small town in Dodoma, and spent majority of her time in North America. She proudly refers to herself as a Tanzanian woman who is excited to keep growing within her Tanzanian culture and people.

What does your typical day look like? 
My typical day has changed a lot recently! I used to work in a professional industry, which was the typical 9am-5pm, so I would wake up at 6am. I would try to incorporate some exercise, so do a little bit of gym. I would also incorporate a spiritual component to my day, so pray a little bit, you know be in a good space and then head to work to put in my 12 hours of work. Then I’d go back home to eat dinner or go out with friends and have dinner and drinks and then sleep for another day. But lately I’ve taken a bit of a detour, so I am travelling and that has completely disrupted my routine. I don’t have a routine as we speak right now but I am trying to maintain good habits. So, I am still waking up early, still eating healthy, still meeting people and keeping myself busy overall, but I don’t have a set schedule so to speak.

What are your biggest accomplishments so far?
Coming to know myself has been the biggest accomplishment to date. I will admit that in my teens I kind of got lost, but I found my way in university and I came to know myself and worked really, really hard. From there, I was able to identify who I am, what I can do professionally and whom I can associate myself with. So, I eventually joined Commission Banking, which is where I can see myself growing and thriving. But not only that, any industry that is sales driven, people driven, social industries, that’s where I see myself. So I would say that for me, the biggest accomplishment was finding a path in life that worked for me, and also identifying which other areas in that particular arena work for me socially and spiritually and make me who I am.

What does beauty mean to you? 
Beauty is a big word. I don’t know how to categorize it in one space. But, superficially speaking, beauty can be looked at in many ways. You know they say “beauty is in the eye of the beholder”, so when I think of “beauty”, I think of any human being, woman or man, white, black, Chinese, etc. It’s all about the inside out. So, if you are a good person within, it really helps to accentuate your external appearance, how you come across and everything else. I also think that beauty is a statement of who you are. So, that means how you come across. If you come across beautiful, pleasant, nice to be with, you speak well, you respect other people, when you care about other people and can demonstrate that, to me that is beauty. Of course, cosmetics and facial beauty is part of beauty, but it’s not everything! But I have to say that if you look after yourself, you don’t have to wear make-up. And if you look after yourself by brushing your teeth, removing stuff in your eyes, cleaning your nose and your ears, grooming your hair, dressing nice and making sure you don’t have body odor; that is overall beauty. However, the biggest part of beauty is what you have inside that you bring to the world.

If you were given a chance to use LuvTouch Manjano products. Which one would you use and why? 
First of all, I have to say that it’s such an amazing brand, and I am so proud of our local Tanzanian entrepreneur for being able to come up with such an amazing suit of products that we can proudly wear as our own brand. We now have something of our own. Kudos to that company, kudos to Shekha Nasser and great job! I really liked the LuvTouch Manjano Powder. It was really good, smooth, and the color seemed to blend in really well, so that’s definitely my top pick.

What advice do you have for girls and young women? 
The advice that I would like to give to young women and youth is the same one I would give to myself. First thing is finding your confidence as soon as possible. As Tanzanian women we tend to feel a little bit marginalized or inferior for a number of reasons, whether it’s tradition, lack of education, home environment, whatever it is; but the quicker we can get to finding our own confidence, the better. Confidence is a really strong aesthetic to have. I have seen that amongst my colleagues and amongst so many people I meet who come from different environments. From a very young age they were very confident in who they were and what they were able to do which really set them up for a successful life; so that’s the first thing. Second thing is being able to take risks. Obviously I understand that a risk is a risk, but when you find people you can speak to, people you can trust with your ideas and people in the industry you’re interested in that have been successful, do talk to them and see what kind of advice they can give you to help you grow. Finding those people is very important to guide you through those risks. Take risks, don’t be shy of taking risk, but just make sure you’re bouncing ideas off with people who can advice you and lead you and who genuinely want you to grow. Those are things that I would say to a Tanzanian woman, any youth and myself. Just go out there and be great!

0 comments: